JellyPages.com

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Professional Internships and Other Excursions

Today is the first day all week I haven't had to wake up before the sun. It feels amazing-- and gives me some time to bring you guys up to speed.

Yesterday at the housing meeting, they cast members (CM) in charge talked about professional internships (PI) and said we should start thinking about them now. Getting a PI is one of the reasons I wanted to do the Disney College Program (DCP). Bryan, one of the CMs in charge, told me to check the website-- there are already postings for this summer! There are a lot of things I could do... none of them involving my major. But at this point, I don't care about that because they all involve creative writing! I mean, hey, I write novels for a living-- may as well get into the world professionally right?

They have positions at Marvel Studios, which have yet to open up (and those of you who know me know that I'm watching like a hawk to get in there). But they also have a position open in Burbank, CA this summer at ABC Studios for a Creative Development Intern. Basically, I'd help write pitches, short scripts, storyboards and brainstorming, and so much more. Lately, I've been in awe over "Once Upon a Time" (some of you may even say obsessed), and this internship could give me a direct line to be a part of that magic, and do the very job I'm so impressed with Adam and Eddy for doing. Why watch all these great storytellers blow me away and sit back like I'm not cool enough to join the party? I still need to talk with some people and do a lot of praying...but somehow, I don't think finding this is a coincidence.

After a much deserved nap, I had to take our list to the front desk and get the silverware and plates we were missing...boring stuff. After that I walked to the bus stop and caught a bus to Downtown Disney. It was a a cold, rainy day-- I'm talking puddles everywhere-- and I'm wearing converse and jeans. Not the wisest idea, I admit, but I had little choice-- I could only pack so much. I boarded the bus to meet Hannah and Jess, and all seemed well at first. I started talking to some of other College Participants (CPs) around me -- (I'm learning I like to talk to people). We didn't get far before I realized the bus was acting strange. It was making an odd noise, and all the other buses were passing us. Finally the other Downtown Disney bus pulled in front of us, and we had to get off the current bus and board the other-- technical issues. According to my former CP friend Mallory, the buses break down a lot. Not so good when people need to be on time to work.

I'd been talking to a girl on the bus who was on her way to work at Downtown Disney. She was really sweet and offered me her umbrella-- she showed me the back way to Ghiradelli where I promptly purchased a hot chocolate with my cast member discount. It was a bad idea to wear glasses on a rainy day. I finally caught up with Jess and Hannah, and we went through all the stores with big grins on our faces. We finished the evening at the House of Blues-- got some drinks and amazing food. Sadly, it was still raining when we left and there's only one bus stop. It was a long walk. We got back to the apartment soaking wet and freezing, but happy as all get out. Best way to top off our evening? Several episodes of "Once Upon a Time".

Thanks to my boyfriend and my sister for those DVDs. They're being put to good use.

No comments:

Post a Comment