JellyPages.com

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Check In, Casting and More

The sky was still dark when I awoke on check in day. After a twelve hour drive and very little sleep, I dragged myself out of bed to greet the day-- check in day. It was not easy to get myself going after so little rest the few days before. I was running on nothing but pixie dust. Dark circles lined my eyes, but there was still a telltale sparkle-- the one that glows from a very special sort of magic... Disney magic.

With a sprinkling of self confidence, some strong coffee and a severe case of pre-cast member jitters, I headed to Vista Way with my dad in tow. My roomies had already checked in before me and scoped out the room. I'd seen videos on youtube and heard horror stories about the long line at check in. Was it really that long? No. Word to the wise-- it doesn't exactly benefit you to go stand in line for hours. They split you up by last name, and everyone goes different directions anyway. I showed up closer to 9 rather than getting in line right at 7, and I go through check in pretty quickly. They were efficient and helpful. Overall, I found it to be an enjoyable experience.

The apartment complexes here are super safe, and all the cast members that work here are fantastic. Even on my days off, the Disney magic still exists. Even the quality of people living around me is nicer. Everyone smile's and says hello rather than awkwardly ignoring each other. It's a much different environment than living anywhere else.

At 9 a.m. this morning, I had casting. I headed over to the the casting building which is absolutely beautiful.



The inside of the building had murals everywhere, and the intern cast members were excellent. They kept us laughing and welcomed us to the Disney family. Boy, let me tell you, they mean it when they say family. After two hours in that building, I felt connected to everyone. The process of casting was long, but easy enough to follow if you listen carefully to the cast members in charge. There seemed to be a cast member at every corner to direct us to the next location, and there were signs with arrows. It was like walking through a maze. The conversation and excitement made the time fly. 

The only downer in the process was my lack of a social security card. I thought my military ID would suffice, but as it turned out... not so much. I have to wake up at 5 a.m. tomorrow to catch a bus to the Social Security office, which is going to kick my tail. Still, every bit of this is worth it. I can't wait until traditions and my first day of training!



2 comments:

  1. Arielle, Even pixie dust can't fix the SSA. You will always need your card for each and every time you start a job. Missy, if and when, you get married, always hyphenate your maiden-married names for SSA card and go get a.new card. Always keep in a safe! :-) A lost card is a pain. Advice given based on experience! :-)

    ReplyDelete