JellyPages.com

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Fantasyland Excursions: Day 1

Today feels so much longer than any other day. I was sorely tempted not to write a blog post...but then I remembered people actually care about what I'm up too here :) .

Today was my first official day of work. I got up at five a.m., which is starting to feel pretty normal by now. I kind of like walking to the bus stop when it's still dark and seeing all the other cast members waiting in their costumes for the bus. It's foggy and often wet from the rain, but it's a picture of perfection to me.

 The first item on the agenda was a course called "Once Upon a Time... is Now!" Basically, this was a sort of orientation. We clocked in and met in the mousecateria (cafeteria). After this we were all given whisper units-- these little earpieces and radios that transmit from the mic the trainer is talking into. We were split into groups and then shown around the Utilidor, which is basically a city of tunnels beneath the Magic Kingdom. Being in the park before it officially opened? Best feeling ever. The streets are mostly empty; cast members are setting up for the day. There was a general buzz of excitement as everyone prepared for opening. We toured the park, blending with the tourists for the most part since the cast members didn't have to shout to explain things to us. The highlight of the tour was when they started talking about the Haunted mansion, and then surprised us by actually taking us on it.

Once the tour of the park was done, we headed to a conference room and split up into our groups-- I'm working in Fantasyland attractions. We got lunch and then learned about what we'd be doing. We signed onto the hub and found out where we were working. I'm working Storybook Circus! My uncle helped build the new Dumbo ride before he past away, so I'm incredibly excited about this. The coolest part was entering casting and seeing all the costumes. I'm working in Storybook Circus (Dumbo and the Barnstormer), so I get to wear this cute little ringmaster outfit. The rest of the day I basically got paid to ride all the rides in Fantasyland and learn the area. It was great. I can't wait to officially start! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment