JellyPages.com

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Training, Training and.... More Training

The days are all beginning to run together. I can never remember what day of the week it is, and I'm always tired. Thankfully, yesterday was the last day I had to open. All closing shifts from now on. Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy for wanting to work closing, but I'll be more awake if I get better sleep, and I prefer to work after dark. The stars are beautiful, and it isn't as hot. Plus the lights in Storybook Circus are really cool.

The past few days have all been more training, and I didn't want to sound redundant in my posts-- not to mention, I've hardly been able to stay awake after my shifts. Writing isn't easy when you're beyond exhausted. I'll do my best to cover the important things.

Training is pretty simple, but also very tiring. We have to read and remember all the operating guides, and we have to practice all the procedures. My only concern that I'm operating machinery and looking out for guest safety. I have no doubt I can do it, but it's a lot of responsibility for a first job. I'm in a training group with a girl named Colleen. Our trainer, Adam, essentially decides what he wants to teach us that day. Instead of talking about it, he actually takes us to all the rides while the park is full. He'll pick up a position (such as FastPass+ or Main Panel), then he'll show us how it works three times. After that, we take turns working the position with him watching over our shoulders. Monkey see, monkey do. It's actually a very effective way of teaching. My brain is constantly going over all the safety procedures because they've been drummed into my brain so much. I even have nightmares about it.

I really like working the Dispatch Panel on Barnstormer. I get to wave at guests as they leave the station, and make sure everyone stays seated when the train is coming back in. When you work an attraction, you work in a rotation. So, I'd be working for 40 minutes in one place, and then I'd rotate to another. I have to know how to work every part of the ride, both Dumbo AND Barnstormer. I like that I'm trained on more than one thing, but some of the procedures are reversed for the two rides. Thankfully, I have two more days of training to get it memorized.

I may have an opportunity to work the new Snow White ride opening since I'm a Fantasyland CP. They'll need CPs to work night shift. I think I'm definitely going to try for it. It'd mean another five days of training, and I may not see really little kids as much. But I'd be part of the opening team for the first major attraction to open at Magic Kingdom since Splash Mountain. That's a big deal to me-- I'd be part of history. Plus, I would only have to work that one ride. It'll be more complicated than the two I run now, but I think it'll be worth it.

I'm determined more than ever to get better at my Spanish. I have at least five guests a day, if not more, ask me if I speak Spanish. Some of them I've been able to help, but others I can't understand enough. It feels great when I do get through to them. They look so relieved that someone can come to their level, even if it's only halfway. I intend to work harder on my Spanish and maybe test for the language tag on my pin. I was working Ringmaster at Dumbo-- you take the pagers and apply the number of the party to it. A family came through that spoke little English, so I switched to Spanish. The little girl was so excited a Cast Member was speaking her language. She jumped up and down and began rattling off about her day in rapid Spanish. I felt bad that I couldn't understand everything she was saying, so I explained to her mother my Spanish wasn't very good. She then explained to her daughter. It was precious. Even just speaking a little bit of her language made this little girl feel welcome. It's made me determined more than ever to become fluent.

Yesterday we were supposed to pick up Merge at Dumbo-- the Cast Member responsible for merging FastPass and Standby together. Adam had to take care of something, so Colleen and I were standing in the Ringmaster (pager) area. There was a malfunction and all the pagers called everyone back at once. Damon, the Cast Member working Ringmaster 2 (the one who takes the pagers back and verifies the number of guests) had a stack of twenty pagers and guests coming at him from all sides. He couldn't keep up with the influx, and I was just standing there, so I asked if he needed help. He breathed a sigh of relief and said please. I asked what he needed me to do. I took the numbers off the pagers while he counted parties and directed the guests safely to the next point. It made me feel so good to help another Cast Member in need. In doing so, we also made things more efficient in a complicated situation, and kept all the guests safe. I can't think of another job that would give me such satisfaction in so small a thing. I love that I can spread the fruits of the spirit as part of my job. I couldn't ask for more.

Tonight is my first night working the night shift (5pm-2am). I'm actually excited. The rides shouldn't be quite as crowded, and I absolutely love the Magic Kingdom at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment